Let's talk Chakra's
If you’ve ever taken a yoga or meditation class, had an energy healing session like reiki, or just watched online videos about those subjects, you’ve no doubt heard about chakras and the role they play in the flow of energy in your body.
You may have also learned that it’s important to keep your chakras open, or unblocked.
But what exactly are chakras and how do they affect your physical and emotional well-being?
In this article, we’ll take a closer look at your main chakras. We’ll also help explain the impact these energy centres may have on your mind and body, plus how to keep them “open” in order to promote physical, mental, and emotional well-being.
- (in Indian thought) each of seven centres of spiritual power in the human body.
In Sanskrit, the word “chakra” means “disk” or “wheel” and refers to the energy centres in your body. These wheels or disks of spinning energy each correspond to certain nerve bundles and major organs.
To function at their best, your chakras need to stay open, or balanced. If they get blocked, you may experience physical or emotional symptoms related to a particular chakra.
There are seven main chakras that run along your spine. They start at the root, or base, of your spine and extend to the crown of your head. That said, some people believe you have at least 114 different chakras in the body.
The chakras most often referred to are the seven main ones that we’ll explore in more detail below.
- Crown – The crown chakra, or Sahasrara, is located at the top of your head. Your Sahasrara represents your spiritual connection to yourself, others, and the universe. It also plays a role in your life’s purpose.
- Third Eye – The third eye chakra, or Ajna, is located between your eyes. You can thank this chakra for a strong gut instinct. That’s because the third eye is responsible for intuition. It’s also linked to imagination.
- Throat – The throat chakra, or Vishuddha, is located in your throat. This chakra has to do with our ability to communicate verbally.
- Heart – The heart chakra, or Anahata, is located near your heart, in the centre of your chest. It comes as no surprise that the heart chakra is all about our ability to love and show compassion.
- Solar Plexus – The solar plexus chakra, or Manipura, is located in your stomach area. It’s responsible for confidence and self-esteem, as well as helping you feel in control of your life.
- Sacral – The sacral chakra, or Svadhisthana, is located just below your belly button. This chakra is responsible for your sexual and creative energy. It’s also linked to how you relate to your emotions as well as the emotions of others.
- Root – The root chakra, or Muladhara, is located at the base of your spine. It provides you with a base or foundation for life, and it helps you feel grounded and able to withstand challenges. Your root chakra is responsible for your sense of security and stability.
In general, the location of the chakra that’s out of balance may affect the parts of your body in close proximity to that chakra, according to Malaspina.
This includes your organs, bones, joints, and tissues near that area.
Psychologically, she says, imbalances in the chakras may cause an emotional imbalance.
This may lead to increased anger, sadness, fear, or indecisiveness.
“It’s important to pay attention to both the psychological and physiological sensations because they can inform each other and uncover the root cause of the experience,” said certified yoga teacher and master reiki healer, Guadalupe Terrones.
According to Terrones, experiencing too much stress — physically or mentally — may cause one or more chakras to be out of balance.
“Personal habits such as poor physical alignment or posture, eating unhealthy food, or self-destructive behavior may cause a chakra to be imbalanced,” she said.
Terrones also said that prolonged imbalance may lead to physical disease and illness, musculoskeletal issues, and mental health challenges like depression or anxiety.
A blocked root chakra can manifest as physical issues like arthritis, constipation, and bladder or colon problems, or emotionally through feeling insecure about finances or our basic needs and well-being. When it’s in alignment and open, we will feel grounded and secure, both physically and emotionally.
Issues with this chakra can be seen via problems with the associated organs, like urinary tract infections, lower back pain, and impotency. Emotionally, this chakra is connected to our feelings of self-worth, and even more specifically, our self-worth around pleasure, sexuality, and creativity.
Solar Plexus Chakra:
Blockages in the third chakra are often experienced through digestive issues like ulcers, heartburn, eating disorders, and indigestion. It’s the chakra of our personal power. This means it’s related to our self-esteem and self-confidence.
Blocks in our heart chakra can manifest in our physical health through heart problems, asthma, and weight issues. But blocks are often seen even more clearly through people’s actions.
People with heart chakra blocks often put others first, to their own detriment. It’s the middle of the seven chakras, so it bridges the gap between our upper and lower chakras, and it also represents our ability to love and connect to others. When out of alignment, it can make us feel lonely, insecure, and isolated.
As one would expect, this chakra is connected to our ability to communicate verbally. Voice and throat problems as well as any problems with everything surrounding that area, such as the teeth, gums, and mouth, can indicate a blockage. Blocks or misalignment can also be seen through dominating conversations, gossiping, speaking without thinking, and having trouble speaking your mind. When in alignment, you will speak and listen with compassion and feel confident when you speak because you know you are being true to yourself with your words.
Third Eye Chakra:
Since this chakra is physically located on the head, blockages can manifest as headaches, issues with sight or concentration, and hearing problems. People who have trouble listening to reality (who seem to “know it all”) or who are not in touch with their intuition may also have a block. When open and in alignment, it’s thought that people will follow their intuition and be able to see the big picture.
The crown chakra is linked to every other chakra (and therefore every organ in this system), and so it affects not just all of those organs, but also our brain and nervous system. It is considered the chakra of enlightenment and represents our connection to our life’s purpose and spirituality. Those with a blocked crown chakra may seem narrow-minded, skeptical, or stubborn. When this chakra is open, it is thought to help keep all the other chakras open and to bring the person bliss and enlightenment.
As these are all energetic centers of the body that correspond to feelings, one of them probably resonated with you as you were reading. A different one may resonate with you tomorrow. It’s likely that one resonates with you more than any others as a continuous problem, a chakra where you often deal with blocks. Other blockages may pop up every now and then. In the chakra system, these patterns have specific terms and there are recommended treatments.
The root chakra is the first chakra in the human body. It’s linked to:
Our root chakras represent our connection to the Earth, our bodies, our tribe or family of origin, and our communities,.
How we care for our physical body and nourish our beings is directly related to this chakra. Our sense of feeling safe, secure, and financially stable are also connected to our roots.
Negative aspects, or shadow issues, associated with the root chakra include:
Root chakra affirmations:
Some possible root chakra affirmations include:
- I am healthy and vibrant.
- I am deeply and safely connected to my body and the Earth.
- I feel the ground firmly beneath my feet.
- I honour the temple of my body with deep care and reverence.
- I’m open to life’s opportunities.
- I am committed to fulfilling my life’s purpose.
The sacral chakra is the second chakra in the human body. It’s linked to:
The sacral chakra in part governs the flow of life, the emotional body and soul, and also the creative process. Our sensuality and sexuality are also connected to this centre, which desires authentic and intimate communion with another.
A blocked or overactive sacral chakra may manifest as:
- lack of sexual desire
- feeling numb
Sacral chakra affirmations
Some possible sacral chakra affirmations include:
- I accept the flow of life.
- I use my energy for creative expression.
- I’m free to express my emotions in a healthy way.
- I honour my sensual expression.
- I am an empowered sexual being.
- My creativity flows effortlessly.
The solar plexus is the third chakra in the human body. It’s said to influence:
- personal power
- mental abilities
The solar plexus rules, in part, the mental body, including the ability to make decisions and act logically. It also houses personal power and is a protective source for self and others.
Shadow issues associated with an imbalanced solar plexus chakra include:
- feelings of helplessness
- an unhealthy need to control
- acting obsessively
- lacking clear direction
- low self-esteem
Solar plexus affirmations:
Try these affirmations for opening the solar plexus:
- I am decisive.
- I make clear choices.
- I take healthy risks.
- I commit to my direction in life.
- I am open to possibilities.
- I am empowered to live my best life.
The heart chakra is the fourth chakra in the human body. It’s associated with:
Our heart connects us to all of humanity and kingdoms of life around us. They desire wholeness and harmony to connect in intimate loving relationships.
An imbalanced heart chakra may manifest as:
- fear of intimacy
- antisocial behaviour
- holding grudges
- guilt and shame
Heart chakra affirmations:
Try these affirmations for opening the heart:
- My heart is open to give and receive love.
- I feel compassion for myself and others.
- I am a conduit for love and peace.
- I am full of gratitude for my ability to love.
- My heart is full of unconditional love for all beings.
The throat chakra is the fifth chakra in the human body. It’s linked with:
The throat chakra is, in part, about elegant speech used to create environments internally and externally. It’s about recognizing truth and finding clarity. A balanced throat chakra allows us to speak with both grace and also the strength of our convictions. The throat is also a centre of higher creativity and the self-expression of our personal freedoms.
Negative aspects associated with the throat chakra include:
- inability to speak your truth
- telling lies
- difficulty communicating
- lack of purpose in life
- lack of creative expression
Throat chakra affirmations:
A few affirmations for the throat chakra include:
- I listen to my own inner knowing.
- I speak my truth.
- I let my voice be heard.
- I trust my conviction and act on my truth.
- I do no harm with my words.
- I speak with authenticity, grace, and courage.
- I express my creativity with ease and joy.
The third eye chakra is the sixth chakra in the human body. It’s associated with:
- psychic vision
- spiritual knowledge
The third eye relates to inner and outer vision, intuition and the mystical aspects of nature and our physical relationship to the natural world. It is from here we can envision ideas and even sophisticated mental constructs to be materialized in the physical world.
Shadow issues associated with the third eye chakra include:
- a lack of clarity and vision
- feeling stuck
- an inability to see the whole picture
- disconnection from spiritual perceptions
Third eye chakra affirmations:
Try these affirmations to enhance third eye energy:
- I see my life’s purpose clearly.
- I am connected to the spiritual world.
- I am open to the truths of the universe.
- I am connected to the divine within.
The crown chakra is the seventh chakra in the human body. It’s connected to:
- higher states of consciousness
- universal awareness
The crown represents our connection to Divine Source and a myriad of levels of consciousness for understanding the cosmic and universal nature of life and our multifaceted place within it. We can access expanded levels of consciousness through the crown and immerse ourselves in a far greater comprehension of connectedness of the great web of life.
An imbalanced crown chakra may manifest as:
- disconnection from spirit
- subject-object consciousness
Crown chakra affirmations:
To activate the crown chakra, try the affirmations below.
- I experience unity with all things.
- I surrender myself to the divine.
- I am aligned with the highest aspect of my being.
- Divine light and love flow through me.
Aside from affirmations, other items or practices are believed by some to heal and balance the chakras. Just a few include:
- essential oils
- sound healing
You can explore some of these practices online via YouTube, Spotify, and other streaming media services.
Crystal & Meditation Workshop & Crystal Meditation with Flawsome Jem.
** DISCOVER THE MAGICAL POWERS OF MEDITATION & CRYSTALS – AN UNSTOPPABLE COMBINATION! **
Learn all about mediation, crystals, why meditate with crystals, how to mediate with crystals, some crystal info ending with a powerful rose quartz crystal mediation…
Get instant access to this powerful workshop & crystal meditation now!
** BONUS: FREE CRYSTAL & MEDITATION GUIDE **
Start living your best life with CBD & Flawsome Jem.