Hey there my Flawsome friend,
Hope the day sees you well?
Today I want to talk more about Basil and it’s benefits of including it regularly into your healthy diet.
If you’re anything like me then you love the flavour of Basil, especially Pesto and any excuse to add it to things. I even add it to my drink every day-basil, lemon and mint are my fave things to add to my water. Yum yum!
So I’ve come up with a really easy, dairy free Pesto. (will be below benefits of basil)
More about Basil and it’s Health Benefits (resources for this post come from Dr.Axe Website ,Pesto Recipe is my own though)
Basil is a common aromatic herb in the mint family, the same plant family as other nutrient-dense, beneficial herbs, including mint, oregano and rosemary. Basil, of course, is used to add flavour to a variety of recipes, but what may surprise you is the many benefits of basil that make it well-known for its immunity-enhancing properties.
Basil extract, or basil essential oil, is proven to help prevent a wide range of health conditions, which makes it one of the most important medical herbs known today.
** Did you know there are actually 35 different types of basil? **
Basil plants come in a range of variety and sizes, but holy basil is the most researched type of basil thus far. Holy basil is the species of basil most known for its powerful healing qualities. To date, at least six different essential oils have been identified in holy basil within its seeds, roots, leaves and stem. Holy basil, which has the scientific name Ocimum sanctum L. or Ocimum tenuiflorum L., is known to be an anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial and powerful adaptogen — meaning it helps the body to respond to stress and fight disease.
Scientific studies show the following benefits of basil:
- Pain-reducer (analgesic)
- Fever-reducer (antipyretic)
- Liver-protector (hepatoprotective)
- Blood vessel-protector
- Anti-stress solution
** ½ cup of fresh chopped basil (or about eight tablespoons) has roughly **
- 2 calories
- 0 fat, protein, sugar or fibre
- 56 milligrams vitamin A (24 percent)
- 88 milligrams vitamin K (108 percent)
- 0.24 milligrams manganese (12 percent)
- 4 milligrams vitamin C (8 percent)
12 Health Benefits of Basil
1. Contains Disease-Fighting Antioxidants
2. Acts as an Anti-Inflammatory
3. Fights Cancer
4. Contains Antibacterial Properties
5. Contains Antimicrobial Properties that Fight Viruses and Infections
6. Combats Stress by Acting as an ‘Adaptogen’
7. Fights Depression
8. Promotes Cardiovascular Health
9. Supports Liver Function and Helps Detoxify the Body
10. Helps Alkalize the Body and Improve Digestion
11. Can Act as a Natural Aphrodisiac
12. Helps Protect from Diabetes and Metabolic Syndrome
Basil really is an amazing ‘Superfood to me.
So I said I have a really easy dairy and gluten free Pesto recipe for you! Well here it is.
Quick and Easy Green Pesto Recipe
2 x Good Handfuls of Fresh Basil
5 x Walnuts
2 x Cloves of Garlic
Juice of 1/2 Fresh lemon
3-4 Tablespoons of Hemp Seed Oil (I used Good Hemp)
** Sometimes if I want a thicker texture and a protein kick I’ll add a tablespoon of Good Hemp Hearts **
How to Make:
- Place Basil into blender and blitz until evenly chopped.
- Add the Walnuts, Garlic and Lemon Juice and blitz again until well mixed. (Add hemp hearts here if using too)
- Drizzle in the Hemp Seed Oil with the blender running slowly and blend until smooth. (add oil until desired consistency)
- You may need to scrape the sides and re blitz to ensure smooth consistency.
Really quick and easy. So tasty and nutritious! Beautiful colour too!
I like to add to Spelt or Hemp Pasta, spread on sourdough with tuna and avocado salad, on or in chicken or fish and so much more!
The list is endless, it’s so versatile and will keep for about a week or so in the fridge.
** This recipe features in my 7 day Meal Plan **
Do let me know if you make, I’d love it if you tag me in any pictures you share on social media @flawsomejem on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram.
If you like quick and easy meals, then I have 2 awesome Meals Plans at the moment. 7 Day and 14 Day options available to help make your life easier at dinner time. Check them out here!
Anyway, I’ll leave it there for today!
Lots of love,