Happy Hemp Day!
How are you doing?
I’m often talking about hemp protein and many of you contact me, asking for recipe ideas to include hemp protein.
One of the quickest and easiest ways to incorporate hemp protein into your day is to add into a green smoothie, another bonus of a green smoothie is you can top up your daily protein intake with very little effort or messing about.
Smoothies aren’t for everyone but for me personally they have been a game changer.
How much Protein does our body actually need?
Well it varies on individual but most active adults could do with consuming about 1 gram of protein per lb or 2.2 grams per kg of bodyweight. (depending on how you measure)
You want to be ensuring you’re getting enough protein in your diet to make sure you feel satiated and are allowing your body to repair.
Sometimes getting protein in with just food alone can be hard, so I suggest supplementing with a good quality complete protein powder.
My favourites is Raised Spirit Hemp Protein, both the plain and Cacao versions are awesome, you can save 10% by entering code: JEMLOCAL (button below, will divert you to Raised Spirit website)
You can get good quality protein powders in all good health shops and even some supermarkets, like Waitrose these days.
What you to look for when buying protein powder:
- You want a good quality, complete protein. That hasn’t been sweetened or have any bad preservatives in.
- Is it a complete protein?
- Is it sweetened?
- If so with something natural
- Is it organic?
- Is it a certified product?
- If you answered no to any of the above, then I would avoid.
Any ingredients ending in ‘ose’
- Does it contain anything else-meal replacement, ingredients can spell/pronounce?
- If you answered yes to any of the above, then I would avoid.
– For further advice reach out to me by email: firstname.lastname@example.org I’ll happily try and help.
Below is a hemp based rainbow smoothie recipe suggestion for you to try.
Hope you enjoy as much as I do…if you make please tag me on any pics you share. I love seeing you guys share my recipes.
As always, any questions I am always here and happy to help, book a free chat below with myself and let’s get you started on your own healthy journey, ditch the overwhelm and start living that healthy life you deserve.
Jemp Rainbow Smoothie:
- 1/2 cup frozen strawberries
- 1/2 cup frozen raspberries
- 1/2 cup frozen mango
- 1/2 cup frozen oranges
- 1/2 cup frozen pineapple
- 1/2 cup frozen spinach
- 1/4 cup frozen blueberries
- 1/4 cup frozen blackberries
- 1 packet frozen acai
- 5 frozen bananas, sliced
- 2 scoops of hemp protein, plain
- 3 cups coconut water
How to Make:
- Separate frozen fruits in their specified quantities on a baking sheet or cutting board.
- Start with the red smoothie layer. Blend together strawberries, raspberries and 1/4 cup coconut water. Pour into a separate bowl or cup.
- To make the orange layer, blend together mango, oranges, 1/2 banana, and 1/4 cup coconut water. Transfer to a separate bowl or cup.
- For the yellow layer, blend together pineapple, 1 frozen banana, and 1/4 cup coconut water. Transfer to a separate bowl or cup.
- To make the green layer, blend together spinach, 1 frozen banana, 2 scoops of hemp protein and 1/4-1/2 cup coconut water. Transfer to a separate bowl or cup.
- Lastly, make the purple layer. Blend together blackberries, blueberries, acai, and 1/4 cup coconut water. Transfer to a separate bowl or cup.
- Arrange your bowls and cups of smoothies by colour. Use a spoon to layer in each colour into a large glass, starting with purple at the bottom.
- Add about 1 tablespoon at a time, and a total of 3-4 tablespoons in each layer.
- Be careful not to add too much at once, or the colours will run together.
- Layer green next, then yellow and orange.
- Finish topping off the rainbow smoothie with the red layer.
- You may need to add more coconut water to each layer, depending on the power of your blender. (For best results, use a high-powdered blender.)
- Start with 1/4 cup coconut water to get it to the consistency of your liking. Make sure it is still thick enough to layer.
- If smoothie becomes too thin, add in frozen banana to thicken. Individual colour layers can be placed in bowls in the freezer for 5-10 minutes to thicken.
- Add each layer in tablespoon increments. Be careful not to add too much at once, or the colours will run together.
- Serving: 8oz
- Calories: 454kcal
- Carbohydrates: 110g
- Protein: 9g
- Fat: 2g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Sodium: 411mg
- Potassium: 2416mg
- Fibre: 19g
- Sugar: 65g
- Vitamin A: 5350IU
- Vitamin C: 129.7mg
- Calcium: 193mg
- Iron: 3.1mg
Some benefits of including hemp in your daily diet:
- Hemp seeds contain ALL 9 essential amino acids.
- Hemp seeds contain more usable protein per gram than almost all other foods.
- Hemp seeds do not contain trypsin inhibitors.
- Hemp seed contains easily digestible protein.
- Hemp seeds contain the perfect 2.5 : 1 balance of essential fatty acids.
- Hemp seed farming is beneficial to the environment.
Want to Infuse with CBD?
To infused your smoothie with CBD you can add your daily dose to your smoothie mix x 2, when mixing (add into one of 2 of the colourful layers mixture and treat as normal.
I like to add a couple of drops per smoothie. I like to use my own brand: Flawsome Jem CBD 10%/1000mg CBD Tincture.
There are so many hemp and CBD products on the market these days, it can be a minefield.
Let me help you cut through the confusion. book a free chat with me below!
Hope you enjoyed reading and found helpful. If you would like to learn more about anything hemp, cannabis or CBD related, let’s chat!
Lots of love,
PLEASE NOTE: CBD is neither a medicine nor a cure for any illness and by no means do we make any medical claims. CBD can help to maintain and support your health and a healthy lifestyle.
I am not making any medical claims in this or any of my other publications. All content I produce, is purely for educational purposes and for sharing my own personal knowledge and experiences of CBD.